Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Learning To Fight

Lucas (Chad Michael Murray): You're the one who wanted to be non-exclusive. I'm just doing what you wanted.

Brooke (Sophia Bush): What I wanted? I wanted you to fight for me! I wanted you to say there is no one else that you could ever be with and that you would rather be alone than without me. I wanted the Lucas Scott from the beach that night; telling the world that he's the one for me.

Lucas: How was I supposed to know that?

Brooke: You just are.

This is one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite shows One Tree Hill. It's taken from the episode entitled "A Mulititude of Casualties" aired awhile ago in ETC.

I just miss being all melancholic and overtly dramatic (my specialty) in my writing so I decided to write in. This just got to me because in the episode "From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea" Lucas was all: "I'm the guy for you, Brooke Davis, you'll see." (I would melt if someone would tell me those words.)

Anyway, I haven't really said what my topic was and to be honest it is actually still brewing in my mind but it has something to do with fighting for someone. Okay so I got the topic already, here goes nothing.

We human beings are creatures of confusion, the flair for drama, and complications. Simplicity is something we wish for but we then shy away from because in the back of our heads we are thinking, "Something is not right. Something is bound to go wrong." It is an innate ability to be suspicious because trusting too much in someone, in something tends to more often than not disappoint us. As a defense mechanism, we hold back and wait for someone else to make the move and then we follow.

There are people who make their own trails and I believe they are the bravest people on earth because being in an unfamiliar situation is probably the hardest thing to be in. We dread stepping out of the box because we fear criticism. And so following through the unknown is most of the time avoided. We would rather stay in the comfort of our peripheral vision than do what is not expected of us.

Brooke put faith in Lucas because of the words he uttered that night. She thought that this time it was real and playing games and playing hard to get was her way of knowing if that this was it.

But that had consequences because like I said Lucas was in the comfort of his peripheral vision where he was just hoping that one day Brooke would get tired of this and just say "Hey! Let's be exclusive!" That is far from what happened as it can be seen in the very first quote above. Confusion and complications got the best of their game which led to feelings getting hurt and expectations crumbling into disappointments. She wanted him to fight for her. She wanted him to persist. But of course he didn't know.

How are we supposed to know these things? Brooke put it into clarity with just three words: "You just are." It is also natural for us to sense these sort of things but as I said before we are just to frightened.

We know when we are supposed to fight for something but more often we ignore the signs. Fighting for something and someone entails that we are certain of what we feel and we are willing to see it through until the end, whatever that end may be. As long as we know that we put up a good fight then we must leave it to them to respond.

I guess what I have been trying to say is that we all must learn how to fight and take charge, and never be afraid even if there is that chance of losing because you know that you have a lot to gain as well. Respect and love for yourself and the satisfaction that you get from knowing that you gave it your all and in the end that simply is enough.

No comments: