Sunday, March 12, 2006

Discrimination & Success

Before I dive back into my work... I just want to blog... I'm sick actually... okay I have a bad cold but I still count that as a sickness. BecauseI tried to ward it off with sleep which is something I need but I can't really get to... and I had a pounding headache last night. Although things are starting to wind down a bit even if this coming week is hell week because of the following:

1. Submission of Final Draft of English paper on Tues.
2. Submission of Final Research Paper for Sociology for qualification of no finals on Tues.
3. Long Quiz for Literature on Tues.
4. Quiz on Production for Eco on Wed.
5. Finals for Theology on Wed.
6. Submission of Final Paper for English on Thurs.
7. Submission of Newsletter for Journ on Friday (which I still have to layout and gather articles for and print)
8. Finals for Philosophy some time this week

There are probably more quizzes to be jammed in there because everything is being crammed into this week since next week is already finals week... and then I am almost through with my first year... hopefully no glitches... I hope to pass with flying colors and I hope to maintain or better my average to maintain my spot on the Dean's List... I want to maintain that so bad... I'm working hard for it.

Yesterday we have proven our worth in the Thomasian community again. For the 5th consecutive time, the Faculty of Arts & Letters have won the UST Varsitarian's Pautakan! It's a quiz bee and AB's Pautakan team have upheld and sustained their rightful place on top!

We have been unjustifiably discriminated since before I entered AB because even my tito calls most of the AB girl students "pok2x" or "hoes"... I'm not exaggerating... we have all heard that we are "beauties without brains", that "we just do not study" and all that jazz... well I'm just putting this lightly.

I find it offensive and unexceptionally rude. Other colleges seriously do not have any right to belittle us like this because what the heck to they think we do in classrooms? Put on makeup? Ha! Like what Aura said, we are humans and we put on makeup... we are girly and all because we are given the outlet to do so... we are a college for liberal arts for crying out loud! I haven't really talked about this because I just let this all slide... rubber and glue what bounces off me sticks to you... and all that.

I remember one of my friends say that by their expression of disdain for us they are actually putting down their own college because they would stoop so low as to say such bad things about us when they don't even know what's going on inside. It is insulting and I have had enough. The Pautakan was proof that there are things in this world we know more than they actually do. 5 years for God's sake! 5 glorious years!!!! I'm so proud to be an ArtLet right now!

And in the immortal words of Rainier... one of my beloved blockmates:

"Beauty and Brains... why choose when you can have both?!"

I guess we have proven ourselves yet again. HA! Take that all of you haters! This reminds me of something Lindsay Lohan said on the movie Mean Girls, it goes something like:

Calling someone ugly doesn't make you beautiful. Calling someone fat doesn't make you thin. Calling someone stupid doesn't make you smarter...

'Nuf said.

No comments: