Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Memoirs & Makeovers

I just saw Memoirs of A Geisha today and I have read the book before... some of the people I know said that the movie was a let down but I still liked it though... of course a lot of stuff had to be cut out... a novel is definitely more expressive (that's why I love reading) but to adapt it into a movie is a different thing. You'd have to squeeze into a limited amount of time the essence of the book. That is a hard thing to do. And I give it A for effort. The casting was good because Chiyo (Suzuka Ohgo) as a child resembled Sayuri/Chiyo (Zhang Zi Yi) it would seem that she actually grew up. The movie requires "suspended disbelief" something my dad always tells me when it comes to movies... breakdown all your principles and just dive into the story. Memoirs is a beautiful story of love, suffering because of love, hardships, sacrifice and the rewards you get from hard work and sacrifice. The movie was still able to portray the martyrdom of being a geisha. As I said, I still liked the movie...

Another thing that I like today is this episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, it is actually my favorite episode so far. It has to be the most heartwarming story... here's the link.

Click here

It featured the Vardon family where the parents were deaf and one of their sons is blind and autistic. It was all up to Stefan their 14 year old son to sort of bridge the gap between his parents and his brother.

I loved it because it was inspiring to see this young man loving helping his parents and brother. He patiently deals with their family's problems at such a tender age! He's one of those people you can't help but admire because it could be seen that he was forced to grow up because of their situation yet he took it as a challenge and like a man. I admire his dedication and love... I want a guy like that! HAHA

He is in my opinion the epitome of the perfect son and person. Okay so I only knew him because of this episode but this made me realize that here I am an able bodied individual who thinks of myself almost 24/7 and yet here we have this equally able bodied man (I consider him a man because of what he does for his family) thinking about the welfare of his family. He cares about others so much and he gives what he could give. He gives the best of himself because he can. I admire him so much... for his dedication and love for his family. I admire his strength. I admire his perseverance. I want to be like him.

No comments: