Friday, February 09, 2007

St. Thomas More Lecture

I'm here to fulfill my blogathon obligations. I suddenly thought that it would be really good for my academic career if I am as dedicated to it. Anyway, I just got home from attending our faculty's St. Thomas More Lecture in the Thomas Aquinas Research Center Auditorium. The speaker they invited to conduct the lecture was National Artist Bienvenido Lumbera. He talked about literature and history.

It was a bit boring to be honest but it was also intellectually stimulating. I enjoyed the open forum more than the actual lecture. He's an amazing man. I admire him for all his done.

I remember someone asked him what a young writer could do in order to gain his success. He just laughed it off and said that it would be disastrous and impossible because before you actually get something done you are already expecting too much from it. I agree with that advice. It's like counting your chicks before the eggs hatch. Something I know we should all avoid.

I'll be going now so I could return to real life adventures and problems. Until tomorrow, bye!

No comments: